martes, 13 de enero de 2015

PAST CONTINUOUS

The past continuous:

The past continuous, also called past progressive, is used to refer to an action that was continuous (i.e. an action that was going on) at a particular time in the past.

The form of the past continuous:

The past continuous is formed as follows:
to be in the simple past+ verb+ ing

The affirmative form:

I, he, she, itwasplaying.
you, we, theywere
Examples:
  • Yesterday evening I was watching a film, when someone knocked on the door.
  • This morning I was revising my lessons when my father came in.
  • Jim and Liza were playing tennis yesterday at 11:00.

The interrogative form:

WasI, he, she, itPlaying?
wereyou, we, they
Examples:
  • What were you doing yesterday evening?
  • And what was your mother doing?
  • Where were you going, this morning at 7:30?
  • What were Jim and Liza doing?

The negative form:

I, he, she, itwas not / wasn'tplaying.
you, we, theywere not / weren't
Examples:
  • wasn't reading a book yesterday evening; I was watching a film.
  • My mother wasn't preparing dinner; she was working on the computer.
  • We weren't playing cards.

The use of the past continuous:

past continuous
  • We use the past continuous to say that somebody was in the middle of doing something at a certain time in the past.
    Example:
    "This time yesterday, I was doing my homework."
  • We use the past continuous to say that something happened in the middle of something else:
    Example:
    "Bob burnt his hand when he was cooking dinner yesterday"
     "While I was working in the garden, I hurt my back."

Remember:

  • "Wasn't playing" and "weren't playing" are the short forms of "was not playing" and "were not playing"

More examples:


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario